Contact Lens Spectrum discusses how contact lenses can be a “life changing” experience with young people and other important factors related to children and contact lenses.
You may already be asking yourself the following questions…
Why contact lenses?
- They can be an incentive for your child to participate in athletics.
- To avoid sport-related injuries that can occur while wearing eyeglasses.
- Help reduce shyness associated with children wearing eyeglasses.
- Wearing soft bifocal contact lenses may be linked to slowing the progression of myopia and young people.
At what age can my child wear contact lenses for cosmetic purposes?
- Contact lenses for kids are recommended for children as young as 8 years old
- Children 8 years of age and older may be mature enough to independently care for their contact lenses with few adverse effects.
What are other important factors for fitting young people into contact lenses?
- Ability to independently care for contact lenses
- Personal hygiene habits
- Prescription requirements
- Self esteem
- Pre-existing medical conditions
The motivation for kids wearing contact lenses often comes from wearing eyeglasses during sports and other activities. It is important for parents to pay close attention to their child’s non-verbal cues given during an eye exam. Parents should pay close attention to their child’s reaction to drop installation and someone touching their eyes. These may be indicators of your child’s motivation for wearing contact lenses and provide an insight if they are ready to take on the responsibility of wearing them.